With thanks to my Aloysian compatriot KK De Silva
- Gotabaya Rajapaksa should resign from the post of Executive President forthwith.
- Government including Ranil Wickremasinghe, Rajapaksa regime should resign forthwith. ( This includes all Cabinet, Non cabinet, Deputy, Project Ministers, Ministry Secretaries, Directors, Advisors, State & Corporation Chairmen, Ambassadors).
- With the removal of the Gota-Ranil government, an interim administration should be set up which accords with the economic, social & political objectives & aspirations of the Peoples Struggle (Aragalaya). A Peoples Council in which there is legal binding for representatives of the Peoples Struggle to intervene/create an impact, should be established.
3.1 prepare a short term emergency relief plan to alleviate the suffering of the people due to the economic crisis
3.2 prepare a plan to provide essential goods such as food, fuel, gas etc. educational facilities, health facilities, public transport & energy needs. Micro finance, loans to farmers be written off..
3.3 Leasing & small scale business loans be written off or a relief scheme be implemented.
3.4 Release peaceful protesters in custody including political prisoners & prepare a scheme to mete out justice to to those who have been politically victimised.
3.5 prepare a scheme to mete out justice to all victims affected as a result of assassinations & disappearances.
3.6 Vest in the state all cash & property robbed by the regime after proper investigation/audit & punish those responsible
3.7 Wealth illegally earned by politicians (Recover ?)
3.8 Wealth illegally earned by companies & individuals with political patronage & taxes evaded by companies earning huge profits (Recover ?)
3.9 Completely overhaul the present tax system (85:15) to minimise the indirect tax percentage & increase the direct tax percentage with the objective of revising the tax policy to recover higher taxes from companies & businessmen who make huge profits, under a progressive tax scheme.
4. After the removal of Gotabaya from power, & pending the enactment of a new Constitution , which ensures the sovereignty of the people:
4.1 reduce the executive powers
4.2 make the law equally applicable to all
4.3 implement democratic reforms that can be undertaken under the present constitution to strengthen democratic structures , immediately.
5. A new Constitution, which guarantees peoples sovereignty should be enacted after a referendum as soon as possible.
5.1 Right to Life should be recognised as a fundamental right. Abolish the Executive Presidential System.
5.2. Establish a mechanism to hold free & fair elections. It should include a provision which allows the right to recall peoples representatives who are not responsible to the people.
5.3 Establish a mechanism for peoples participation in formulating /amending laws
5.4 Include provisions which exceed the present limitations to strengthen human rights, women’s rights & children’s rights
5.5 Provide for Peoples right to education & health
5.6 Take legal action against those responsible for destroying the environment under the guise of development & make it compulsory for a scientific mechanism to be followed in making decisions regarding the environment
5.7 Abolish completely racism, national oppression & ensure equality of status, ensure religious, language, gender & other cultural identities of every section of the community, ensure political & democratic freedoms & strengthen relevant fundamental rights foundations
5.8 Provide for the right to call for a referendum at the request of a specific percentage of the people
6. The fundamental objective of the interim administration is the implementation of the above proposals , & the interim administrative structure so established should end within a maximum period of 12 months with the enactment of a new Constitution.
Accordingly, the provisions of Sections 3 & 4 should be considered as immediate requirements & be achieved within a maximum period of 6 months.
Further the provisions of Section 5 should be achieved within a maximum period of 12 months.
The Peoples Struggle will continue under a new format until all of the above are accomplished.
A NOTE : The photo below shows a march on 18th April 2022 which foreshadows the populist pressures that are reaching culmination today in July 2022 …. https://www.dailysabah.com/business/economy/sri-lanka-leader-trims-cabinet-of-relatives-ahead-of-imf-talks?gallery_image=undefined#big