Michael Roberts, reprinting an essay drafted in 2007 and since presented in Fire & Storm in 2010 (chapter 19: 131-38)
- “Gandhi tried for years to reduce himself to zero” (Dennis Hudson 2002: 132).
- Hitler: “You are nothing, your nation is everything” (quoted in Koenigsberg 2009: 13).
- LTTE: “the martyr sacrifices himself for the whole by destroying the I…” (Dagmar Hellmann-Rajanayagam’s interpretation of a Tamil Tiger supporter’s poem; 2005: 134).
- Spokesman for Al Qaida after the Madrid bombing: “You love life and we love death”
- Col. Karuna, ex-LTTE: “Death means nothing to me….”
- The Hagakure is “a living philosophy that holds that life and death [are] the two sides of the same shield” (Yoshio Mishima in his The Way of the Samurai, quoted in Moeren 1986: 109-10).
- “Bushido means to die” (Emiko Ohnuki-Tierney 2002: 117).
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVpbl0azdFM …. Kamikaze strike