Recent Thuppahi entries have highlighted the Workshop on “Sacrificial Devotion” held in Adelaide University in late 2005, one framed within the concept fashioned by Michael Roberts to study and comprehend suicidal commitments to political cause. Note the ITEM
The Web Site launched thereafter by Daniel Nourry & Michael Roberts, namely, sacrificialdevotionnetwork.wordpress.com …. was sustained for a short while, but then became mute. However, it is still available online …. and readers may be interested in some items, especially the lively discussion aroused by the video clip from an Islamic American lady named “Wafa Sultan” who – to my noviciate eyes--dared to challenge the jihadists. This reading on my part was immediately challenged by a young friend of mine, Ajit Chittambalam who was studying in USA then and familiar with that lady’s background.
“Wafa Sultan’s clip has been widely circulated before, and I find it reprehensible in every way. Not only is her message saturated with racism and a portrayal of Islam that does not disguise its contempt, but it is factually untenable, and intellectually flimsy. ”
The exchanges that followed on this topic may still be of interest.
So, this NOTE is a sweetener that encourages readers to visit that dormant site and to perhaps generate essays for entry in Thuppahi or wherever.
I now list the items within the SACRIFICIAL DEVOTION WEBSITE … in reverse chronological order
- Review of Jacob Copeman’s Veins of Devotion
- Michael Roberts: “Encountering Extremism: Biographical Tracks and Twists,” 19 March 2010
- Michael Roberts: “Kaplan’s Savage Orientalism ….” 2 January 2010
- Wafa Sultan generates a Hornet’s Nest….
- B Muralidhar Reddy: “Analytical Anthropology” — Book Review of Exploring Confrontation by Roberts, 18 October 2009
- Michael Roberts: “Some Pillars for Lanka’s Future,” 22 May 2009
- Michael Roberts: “Ground Realities in Sri Lanka expose Colossal Naivete among the World’s Leaders,” 20 April 2009
- Michael Roberts: “LTTE and Tamil People, IV: Dedicated Tamils,” 24 April 2009
- Michael Roberts: “LTTE and Tamil People, III: Nationalism as Living Religion,” 5 April 2009
- Michael Roberts: “LTTE and Tamil People, II: Interflows,” 2 April 2009
- Michael Roberts: “LTTE and Tamil People, I: Preamble,” 13 April 2009.
- Michael Roberts: “Dilemmas at Wars End: Clarifications & Counter-Offensive,’ 23 February 2009
- Lionel Bopage: “A Response to Michael Roberts’ Dilemma at War’s End: Thoughts on Hard Realities,” 14 February 2009
- Michael Roberts: “Dilemmas at Wars End: Thoughts on Hard Realities,” 11 February 2009
- Murali Reddy …. Lionel Bopage