The Bridge On The River Kwai location: the military hospital: Mount Lavinia Hotel, Hotel Road, Colombo, Sri Lanka | Photograph: Mount Lavinia Hotel
A lovely look back at the movie and location. With the accompanying music and terse narration, I think Destination Sri Lanka have produced another great video. It is a pity that the Sri Lankan (Ceylonese) Government of the time did not think it important to preserve more souvenirs from the movie.
Very informative and interesting… i now feel like watching the movie again. Great effort. Keep it up
My recollection is that the engineers responsible for the design of the bridge for the film were Husband & Co, Consulting Engineers and their name appears in the Credits for the film.
- Michael Roberts: “Kitulgala and the Classic Movie “Bridge on the River Kwai”, 2 August 2021, https://thuppahis.com/2021/08/02/kitulgala-and-the-classic-movie-bridge-on-the-river-kwai/
- Michael Roberts: “Anecdotal Tit Bits: Making “The Bridge on the River Kwai” 17 August 2021, https://thuppahis.com/2021/08/17/anecdotal-tit-bits-making-the-bridge-on-the-river-kwai/
- Lalin Fernando & d Rohan Wijeyesekera: “The Bridge on the River Kwai, ” 25 February 2021, https://thuppahis.com/2012/02/25/the-bridge-on-river-kwai/https://thuppahis.com/2012/02/25/the-bridge-on-river-kwai/
- Tony Donaldson: “… In Appreciation of Ian Watts’ Fictional Tale,” 6 Janaury 2021, https://thuppahis.com/2021/01/06/bridge-over-the-river-kwai-in-appreciation-of-ian-watts-fictional-tale/
- Geoff Wijesinghe: “Whistling George Siegertsz and Other Radio ceylon Artistes in the 1950s and 1960s,” 23 August 2021, vhttps://thuppahis.com/2021/08/23/whistling-george-siegertsz-and-other-radio-ceylon-artistes-of-the-1950s-and-60s/
The Bridge On The River Kwai location: concrete foundations of the film’s bridge: Maskeliya Oya, Kitulgala, Sri Lank
The Bridge On The River Kwai location: Samuel Perera, who played the Jungle Boy in the film, and his wife Chandra: Maskeliya Oya, Kitulgala, Sri Lanka
The Bridge On The River Kwai location: signage to the bridge road: Maskeliya Oya, Kitulgala, Sri Lanka
One response to “Travails in Filming “The Bridge on the River Kwai” … and The Locations”
Pingback: Force 136 in British Ceylon during World War II and the Film “Bridge on the River Kwai” | Thuppahi's Blog