The Sri Lankan passport has become one of the most un-welcomed passports in the world, according to latest Visa Restrictions Index. Sri Lanka has been ranked 88 of 93 positions, alongside Kosovo, Lebanon and Sudan who also share the same slot. Myanmar and Bangladesh are ahead.
Citizens of Group 1 were Finland, Sweden and the United Kingdom held the best passports for global travel last year, with visa-free access to 173 countries. New Zealand is in Group 5 being ahead of Australia in Group 6 .
This grouping is not indicative of the risks in holding these pass ports , such as being targeted by terrorists where UK, US , Australia etc would be on the no 1 target group, being war mongers. SL PP is not on the target list of Islamic terrorists.
The global index and the methodology are as follows;
One response to “International Pariah: Sri Lankan Passport”
When one uses the term “Islamic terrorists”, one is claiming that Islam supports acts of terrorism. Such claims needs the backing of facts. Mere claims made by terrorists that their actions have religious sanctions or basis do not mean that those actions are Islamic.
Muslims are to be judged by Islam ; not the other way around. Islam can only be fairly judged by Islam.
Indeed the term “Islamic terrorists ” is contradictory. Either one follows Islam or one is a terrorist ; one can be both at the same time.
How many non-Muslims know for example that these verses exist in the Quran –
1. ” There is no compulsion in religion. Truth is clear from error ” ( The Quran 2:256)
2. ” If it had been the Will of your Lord, they would all have believed – all who are on earth ! Will you then compel mankind, against their will, to believe ? (The Quran 10:99)
3. “If then they turn away, We have not sent you as a guard over them. Your duty is only to convey (the Message).” ( The Quran 42: 48)
4. ” Clear proofs have indeed come to you; from your Lord; so whoever sees, it is for his own good; and whoever is blind [ to the Truth ] it is to his own harm. And I am not a keeper over you.” ( The Quran 6:105 )
6 ” Invite all to the Way of your Lord with wisdom and beautiful preaching; and argue with them in ways that are best and most gracious. Your Lord knows best, who have strayed from His Path, and who have received guidance. ” ( The Quran 16 :125).
7. “And argue not with the People of the Book [ Christians and Jews ] unless it be in a way that is better, save with such of them as do wrong; and say ‘ We believe in that which has been revealed to us and to you; and our God and your God is one and unto Him we submit [ in Islam] ‘ ” ( The Quran 29:46)
8. “Say: ‘O People of the Book [ Jews and Christians ] ! Come to common terms as between us and you: That we worship none but Allah; that we associate no partners with Him; that we erect not, from among ourselves, Lords and patrons other than Allah.’ If then they turn back, say you: ‘Bear witness that we (at least) are Muslims (bowing to Allah’s Will).’ ( The Quran, 3 : 64)
9. “Allah does not forbid you, with regard to those who do not fight against you for your faith nor drive you out of your homes, from dealing kindly and justly with them: for Allah love those who are just.” (The Quran 60: 8).
If anyone claims that Islam calls for the murders of non-Muslims simply because they are non-Muslims clearly do not know Islam. One or two verses taken out context – always gleefully quoted by the uneducated non-Muslim – cannot and do not undermine these explicit verses which instruct Muslims to respect religious differences.
Indeed, if one is to read through the Quran – better still any of the authoritative exegesis of the Quran such as by Imam Thabari or Imam Qurthubi – one will find an Islam so diversely different than one portrays by both the mass media and certain groups of so-called Muslims.
In the light of the recent attacks on Muslims in Sri Lanka, which seems to be a repeat of the riots of 1915, it is unsettling that someone of your education is still uninformed about what Islam truly teaches. Are you for example aware of the existent of the above Quranic verses ?
How many of non-Muslim Sri Lankans share your misinformed notions of Islam, I wonder ?